Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Romero and Schlozman's "Zombie Autopsies" Script Completed

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    My main problem with The Walking Dead is that it's set in a vanilla zombie holocaust, with no original twists or new angle, with mostly-uninteresting vanilla TV characters delivering vanilla TV dialogue (i.e. speaking in ways no one actually does) in vanilla zombie movie situations. There is nothing original or exciting about The Walking Dead, nothing that hasn't been covered a hundred thousand times in the fiction section here.

I think it's widely liked among the general public because will be one of the first vanilla zombie stories your average mainstream twenty-first century TV viewer has been exposed to. To them, it is new, it is exciting, I can appreciate that. But to me, everything about it is old hat, tired and boring.

The Zombie Autopsies might turn out the same way, or go the other direction and try too hard to be wacky and unusual, and abandon the basics of the genre altogether, like some of Romero's recent work has. But I am hopeful.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 26-Aug-2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I judge them as movies as an art form in general, I suppose. Zombie movies are a genre I love, but that doesn't mean I love every zombie movie. Far from it. There's stuff like Day of the Dead, 28 Days Later and Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things in one corner, and Zombie Lake, Oasis of the Dead and World War Z in the other.

Undisclosed
    Recent interview with George here:

http://dailydead.com/exclusive-inter...orge-a-romero/

Quote on TWD, Man of Steel and WWZ :

George A. Romero: "I have to say that I love The Walking Dead [comic] books. Frank Darabont did a great job with the first season, but I didn’t know what happened with the show after. I used to be the only guy in this playground, but now there’s too damn many. It’s very hard now, particularly with World War Z [the movie]. When I first saw it, I wasn’t thrilled with it, but the following weekend, I saw Man of Steel and I suddenly loved World War Z [laughs]."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Recent interview with George here:

http://dailydead.com/exclusive-inter...orge-a-romero/

Quote on TWD, Man of Steel and WWZ :

George A. Romero: "I have to say that I love The Walking Dead [comic] books. Frank Darabont did a great job with the first season, but I didn’t know what happened with the show after. I used to be the only guy in this playground, but now there’s too damn many. It’s very hard now, particularly with World War Z [the movie]. When I first saw it, I wasn’t thrilled with it, but the following weekend, I saw Man of Steel and I suddenly loved World War Z [laughs]."
    Is it weird that I've gotten in this habit of mentally transposing Stan Lee's voice over Romero's when I read quotes from GAR?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    However 'The Zombie Autopsies' turns out, it has to be the dumbest name for a zombie film since 'The Video Dead'.

As far as 'The Walking Dead' goes, I reckon I like it because it is such a vanilla-type zombie apocalypse. To me that's one of its strengths, although I agree that some of the characters are too blah. Especially the one's written for the show. Most of the comic-book characters come off better.

Needs more gore though and a sense of real danger. It's still a little too cozy for me.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'd agree on the title. It's pretty stupid.

Also, I might be a bit too harsh on TWD. For all it's faults, it's still a lot better than much out there.