Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: "Rise of the Apes" - Planet of the Apes prequel

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've got say.....i've completely turned around on this. The more I see of it, the more excited I get. The CGI isn't really a worry at this point.

BTW, if it hasn't been mentioned - during an "on air" interview with Weta yesterday, they revealed that the apes don't speak in this film.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    showed it to a guy i know and he goes "but the apes where from another planet the astronauts were on, how are they on earth to begin with?". For a minute i was dumbfounded before i broke down the 1 pop culture reference more prevalent than 'luke i am your father' or the platoon guy yelling on his knees.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    showed it to a guy i know and he goes "but the apes where from another planet the astronauts were on, how are they on earth to begin with?". For a minute i was dumbfounded before i broke down the 1 pop culture reference more prevalent than 'luke i am your father' or the platoon guy yelling on his knees.
    "You Maniac! You spoiled the whole picture! Damn You! damn you all to Hell!!!!"
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes trailer

http://www.apeswillrise.com/

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Heston was involved with the original and (against his will) in the first sequel, Beneath.
    How was he involved against his will? Contractual agreement or something!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    How was he involved against his will? Contractual agreement or something!?
    Naw, he was captured by apes dude! Didn't you watch the movie?!?

(Actually...)

Spoilers of "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" to follow:

In 1969, the studio heads at Twentieth Century-Fox wanted Heston to return as the starring role in Beneath the Planet of the Apes. Heston didn't want to commit to a sequel, but agreed to make a brief appearance so long as his character was killed off early in the film. After several script drafts, it was decided that the Taylor character would function as a framing sequence for the second film. He appeared briefly in the beginning of the movie, where he falls into the Mutant trap, and returns towards the end of the film for the movie's climax. Heston donated his agreed-upon guild-minimum fee from Beneath the Planet of the Apes to his son Fraser’s school. The original storyline for Taylor was later adapted for the character of John Brent.

"I felt a certain obligation to Richard Zanuck about the film. The first one had such an enormous success, both critically and commercially, and of course I was grateful for the part and the material rewards it brought me and so forth. They spoke to me, as soon as the overwhelming success of the film became evident, about a sequel, and I said, "You know, there is no sequel. There’s only the one story. You can have another picture about further adventures among the monkeys, and it can be an exciting film, but creatively there is no film." Now that comment is in no way intended, as I said to Zanuck, as a criticism of them for making it. A picture that grosses $22 million, and has the potential to be spun off into one or more sequels, obviously you have a responsibility to your stockholders, and indeed all the other movie makers on your lot who will be making films with the profits from that to make others. I think it's fruitless to compare and say which of the... successive films is the better. It's clear that, in terms of the story, the first one is all there is. Nevertheless, I felt a responsibility to Zanuck, and I said I'd be happy to do it as a friendly contribution."

Planet of the Apes Wiki - Charlton Heston
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 15-Apr-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spoiler

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    In the original novel,

...the apes were on another planet. The astronaut returns to Earth to find that whatever happened on the alien ape planet happened on Earth as well.

I love what Rod Serling did to make the script different from the novel. He makes M. Night look like an amateur.

The ending of Burton's apes was heavily influenced by the novel, but was ultimately a failure at trying to one up Serling.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Administrator

England
    Looks interesting... They're still not quite there with the CGI though are they... Guess another 5-10yrs maybe until photo realistic?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Looks interesting... They're still not quite there with the CGI though are they... Guess another 5-10yrs maybe until photo realistic?
    There are also a couple months left until release. Often with these CGI-heavy movies they're working on it right up until release. Green Lantern is recent proof of that. The CGI in GL's trailers improved with each trailer release.
    Last edited by bassman; 03-Jun-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    International Trailer. Shorter, but more emotional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwp58drJh2A

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    I was about to say I've been seeing the same, even saw "We Go Ape for Rise of the Planet of the Apes" or some such line on the cover of a paper when I was getting my coffee this morning....though I think it was the Daily News

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It’s not just Caesar who is executed well here, but a whole range of apes all with their own unique personality. There’s the old Alpha Male who gives Caesar hell at first and is forced into subservience as Caesar finds his calling, the caged muscle (a tortured, pissed off gorilla which is very much a throwback to the roles of the different primates in the original series), an intelligent circus orangutan that can sign and connects with Caesar on a level the other apes can’t and a mean, half-blind scarred-up old veteran of the lab testing scene.
    Glad to see they're keeping the "class system" of the apes.

Fans of the original will get a few nods, some careful and some eye-rolling (did we really need to have both “It’s a Madhouse! A Madhouse!” and “Get your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape!” repeated for us?), but if you’ve never seen an Apes movie this one will play just fine.
    No way. That's just....ugh. You're supposed to use minor quote references. Not the one's listed on every "Best movie quote" list.

I'm sure it won't be able to live up to Conquest, but i'm looking forward to this one.

BTW.....it's currently sitting wit a 86% on rotten tomatoes. Wow...
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Aug-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    man, everything i see looks fucking great but i cannot shake that this is going to be like 90 minutes of set up and exposition and 30 minutes of chaos at the end with a truncated finale. This series deserves more than that. I have no doubt its going to be one of the better revamps but still, i know i cant be the only one getting this vibe from the trailers.