Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Atheism

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I'd have to disagree...

I think an individual's mortality, and the mortality of their loved ones, is probably one of the most profound issues people must come to terms with in their life? One only has to look at the Great Piramids or Qin Shi Huang to realise this has been the case for as long as man has been self-aware.

A couple if times my four year daughter has become extremely upset when talking about death. Already she has rationalised that some finality exists to her and other peoples lives. It's incredibly humbling and very sad to watch a four year olds mind come to grasp with such a large concept.

So again, I'd suggest the worry about mortality is one of the top reasons for why man felt the need to create a God, and that people certainly take solice in a belief that suggest mortality is not final.
    I can certainly understand and appreciate your opinion and I even agree to an extent. The issue of mortality is paramount to MANY people. It's just personally I've never seen a point in concerning myself regarding the question.

Then again, I'm a writer and I am arrogant in believing that my words will live on long after I'm gone. So, the issue just doesn't trouble me because long after I'm dead my work will live onward and I'll hopefully be remembered positively for it.

When it comes to my faith though, and I'm just speaking personally, a concept of an after-life just doesn't enter into the equation. That doesn't matter to me.

I think you're right that it is central of importance to many people, I just don't think it should be at all.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    I can certainly understand and appreciate your opinion and I even agree to an extent. The issue of mortality is paramount to MANY people. It's just personally I've never seen a point in concerning myself regarding the question.

Then again, I'm a writer and I am arrogant in believing that my words will live on long after I'm gone. So, the issue just doesn't trouble me because long after I'm dead my work will live onward and I'll hopefully be remembered positively for it.

When it comes to my faith though, and I'm just speaking personally, a concept of an after-life just doesn't enter into the equation. That doesn't matter to me.

I think you're right that it is central of importance to many people, I just don't think it should be at all.

j.p.
    Maybe as you get older, or have kids (assuming you don't already), that freight-train of mortality coming down the tracks towards you will look a little more ominous
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    People still like to believe in fairy tales because they cant come to terms with their own mortality and that there is more than likely just nothing after you die, or because believing in god was ingrained into them from being a very small child and is hardwired into their brain. I was sent to a church of England school as a toddler up until I was 11 and from day one we had to pray and listen to daily stories about god & jesus & the saints etc and that we must do this or must not do that, and I just blindly believed in it all then as I was essentially brainwashed into it at an impressionable age. Once into my teens though I just decided that it was all a load of cobblers!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    People still like to believe in fairy tales because they cant come to terms with their own mortality and that there is more than likely just nothing after you die, or because believing in god was ingrained into them from being a very small child and is hardwired into their brain. I was sent to a church of England school as a toddler up until I was 11 and from day one we had to pray and listen to daily stories about god & jesus & the saints etc and that we must do this or must not do that, and I just blindly believed in it all then as I was essentially brainwashed into it at an impressionable age. Once into my teens though I just decided that it was all a load of cobblers!
    Indeed, cultural influences must play a huge part in peoples beliefs.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    "I was born and raised a Catholic....until I reached the age of reason"
    -George Carlin

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I was also in church every Sunday as a kid. As I got older I started to believe people were taking it too far. Imo, christianity is simply a fable to help people go through their life in a morally responsible and caring way. People have taken the simple message and clung to every word rather than live by it's overall message.

Is there an afterlife? Nobody knows and nobody will ever know until they die. There's no way to prove it. If there is an afterlife....cool! Who wouldn't want one? Personally, I don't think there is. I want to try to be a good person and enjoy my time on this plane of existence rather than counting on something better after i'm gone. No point in wasting what i've got.

"Is this not enough?, this blessed sip of life, is it not enough staring down at the ground?, oh then complain and pray more from above like a greedy little pig, stop just watch your world trickle away, oh it's your problem now, it'll all be dead and gone in a few short years, just love will open our eyes, just love will put the hope in our minds, much more than we could ever know, don't burn the day away" - Pig by DMB
    Last edited by bassman; 15-Aug-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: .

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Where is your god now?!
    Oh... Don't have one? Here.
    *gives you the link for following Pinkamina Diane Pie on Tumblr*
    Mwahahahahahaha!
    What?
    Last edited by blind2d; 18-Aug-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: sp

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Don't know about god but don't believe in any that pick favourites or care about what we eat Friday.

What god can't do

Fine tuned universe

Last edited by Rottedfreak; 18-Aug-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: ffd

Administrator

England
    ^^ lol!
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Neil's signature with Carl Sagan's 'The Dot' is gold, the film Contact, written by Sagan, featured this opening that blew me away and it would be awesome to place that narration over it.

Last edited by Rottedfreak; 18-Aug-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: qfdf

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    the film Contact, written by Sagan, featured this opening that blew me away.
    Love the film and the opening is incredibly well done.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    People who don't agree with athiests should just start believing that athiests don't exist.

*pauses*

*scrathes his head for a minute*

Wait, what?!

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Haha! *high fives Lou*

Twitching

Undisclosed
    What do you think of this Reasonable Faith tour for Christian apologist William Lane Craig and a few Atheists like Dawkins refusing to debate him and Polly Toynbee pulling out?

Scotland
    As simple as this:

Atheism= freedom of Action, Thought and Emotion.
    Religion = A system of rules and a higher power to be led by.
    If You Believe In Something, It Will Exist. For As Long As You Live, Or Die, You Will Always Be Controlled By Beliefs And Compulsions. Mortal.