Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead Island Riptide (video game)

Administrator

England

Dead Island Riptide (video game)

http://deadislandwiki.com/wiki/Dead_Island_Riptide

Dead Island Riptide is a full standalone sequel to Dead Island, announced June 6, 2012 and set to be released in 2013. The game will be released on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. It is set for an "extensive reveal" in the summer of 2012.

Dead Island Riptide picks up right where the original game left off, with the same four survivors, Sam B, Xian Mei, Logan Carter and Purna. Because of a tropical storm the chopper crashes. The crew land on a military ship where, due to a raging monsoon and the fact that our survivors are infected, an all-new zombie outbreak occurs onboard. This forces players to flee the ship or the ship runs aground (media reports are conflicting). The survivors end up on the island of Palanai in the South Pacific. Palanai includes the city of Henderson.

Joining the four survivors from the last game is a mysterious fifth character.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States

The only thing that was good about Dead Island was the trailer for the game. The actual game itself? Repetitious, boring, and not worth playing.

I doubt the sequel will be any better.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post

The only thing that was good about Dead Island was the trailer for the game. The actual game itself? Repetitious, boring, and not worth playing.

I doubt the sequel will be any better.
    Didn't find it that bad!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Didn't find it that bad!?
    Really? My son had been anticipating that game ever since the trailer came out and stayed on me until it was finally released to get it for him. Once he got it, we played it for a week and decided it was one of the worst zombie games we had played. Repetitious, and just overall very boring. I don't know.. I'd rather play Dead Rising or L4D than this one. It really had no replay value to it either.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 21-Sep-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Really? My son had been anticipating that game ever since the trailer came out and stayed on me until it was finally released to get it for him. Once he got it, we played it for a week and decided it was one of the worst zombie games we had played. Repetitious, and just overall very boring. I don't know.. I'd rather play Dead Rising or L4D than this one. It really had no replay value to it either.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    I know what you mean about repetitive... But I did find it quite moody and creepy (eg: the main town). And it held my interest for a long time. Didn't quite finish it, but got pretty close I believe...
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I know what you mean about repetitive... But I did find it quite moody and creepy (eg: the main town). And it held my interest for a long time. Didn't quite finish it, but got pretty close I believe...
    What did you think about the zombie combat, Neil? I found it kinda "clunky" for lack of a better word.

One thing is for sure: no matter how good the game was going to be, NOTHING would've ever lived up to that trailer for the game. That was so beautifully done and so well thought out, I thought this game was a slam-dunk for sure. I wasn't right, but damn, that trailer should've won some awards or something.

Ireland
    Yeh, I found it ok. Better on the PC than on the XBOX, that's for sure.

I'll probably check out the sequel, but the producers need to up the quality of the game in a number of areas.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Yeh, I found it ok. Better on the PC than on the XBOX, that's for sure.

I'll probably check out the sequel, but the producers need to up the quality of the game in a number of areas.
    Multiplayer didn't quite work - But it seems they've tried to address this area!
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I enjoyed it for a while, some of it worked well, but a lot didn't. It was spoiled by arcade style presentation (the menus, and the brash unlikeable characters), and ridiculously stupid side quests like fetching bottles of booze for some irritating girls who just wanted to carry on partying even though there were zombies and blood everywhere. Some parts like the town were brilliant, it oozed atmosphere there, or in the early parts of the game around the resort before you levelled up to invincible levels where the zombies seemed a genuine threat. I lost interest once it got to the jungle part though, it just seemed like a corridor maze and there was that many different quests going on I didn't know where to start, plus it fell victim to the usual "super zombies" that crop up in such games once you got to the jungle. Does it get good again after the jungle or is that the final part anyway?
    It could have been a 5 star game had they put better characters and more realistic situations in there, and got rid of all the irritating "errand boy" quests.

Administrator

England
    Ten minute walk though featuring new defensive missions. Looks interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF4Itd0jySo
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Cool, I already have this on my rent list for next month. Looks intense for early in the game.

Administrator

England
    Just hope the character/voice acting is better than the original!
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    "I heard the scourge came from outer space. Probably came down on meteors..."

SHADAP!
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    Im actually playing the first one on the 360 at the moment for the first time and enjoying the hell out of it. Good zombie sandbox game
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    OH this game, I remember it. The weapons repair simulator.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack