Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars IX (film)

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    oh it was another transporter?
    That was chicken feed - Somehow they landed one small dune away from the huge festival, and didn't see it as they came down?

BTW can you explain why Kylo flew his tie fighter at Rey, not firing, seemingly just so she could do the cut? Huh?

Anyway, most of this trilogy for me has been fairly contrived shallow affair. In fact the only Star Wars film that I though raised the bar was Rogue One. Just my opinion...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Agreed, Rogue One was good. I enjoyed it alot.

As for this film, it's so cheap. There are no less than five times when the audience is tricked into thinking a character is dead, with dramatic pompous, and then ends up alive and well.

Chewie's transport getting destroyed, that was so god damn cheap. C3PO's memory getting wiped, then restored again. Zorii(?)'s planet getting blown up, and we KNOW she's still there because she gave her passport to Poe - then she suddenly turns up at the end alive and well in the final fight because of "reasons". Kylo Ren getting blasted into the abyss by Palpatine, then returning to... You guessed it, bring back Rey from the dead. Rey being the fifth, in case you missed it.

This contrasted with Rogue One where it's the absolute opposite...
    Last edited by EvilNed; 29-Dec-2019 at 08:44 PM. Reason: vdfdsf

Administrator

England
    I must admit as Jedi's have got more and more super duper with their powers, I've got more and more uninterested. ie: If the rules get that vague then they can ultimately do anything at anytime, so what's to concern yourself about. eg: Kylo's tie figher crashing, with not a moment's concern he would survive the following massive crash... Or entire space ships being pulled back and forth by uber powers...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    That was chicken feed - Somehow they landed one small dune away from the huge festival, and didn't see it as they came down?

BTW can you explain why Kylo flew his tie fighter at Rey, not firing, seemingly just so she could do the cut? Huh?

Anyway, most of this trilogy for me has been fairly contrived shallow affair. In fact the only Star Wars film that I though raised the bar was Rogue One. Just my opinion...
    An opinion that's shared by many. 'Rogue One' added to the over all Star Wars story. These rubbish sequels have just taken away from it and in too many cases negated it and what the characters of the originals achieved.

They've been bloody awful.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    An opinion that's shared by many. 'Rogue One' added to the over all Star Wars story. These rubbish sequels have just taken away from it and in too many cases negated it and what the characters of the originals achieved.

They've been bloody awful.
    I agree, having finally actually seen the damn thing. Sorry Neil. I was too hostile. Overall I think Episode Nine deserves a 4/10. (But I still thought the kiss was nice. Not the big one though. Kill that with fire). Actually, can we do a re-edit of this film where only the good parts are left in? It'd be like an hour, but still.

United States
    Rogue One was dope.

These last three movies just don’t feel like Star Wars with characters that are pretty uninteresting and flat.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Only now seeing this. I have to agree with MZ, I enjoyed it! It’s got it’s issues, quite a few, but considering all of the complications before cameras even started rolling, it’s quite remarkable that it came out as coherent as it did!

It’s not the “ending”(c’mon, we all know a few years down the road, they’ll bring the new crew back) we’d hoped for, but it’s acceptable. Even before Force Awakens was released, I primed myself to temper expectations because I knew they’d never live up to the originals, so that mindset of “just give it a chance for fun” probably helped. Plus, as I get older it becomes more and more silly to get bent out of shape over a movie. I go in expecting fun, I’m not looking to be overly negative and whine, I just want to be entertained and this film at least delivered on that.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Only now seeing this. I have to agree with MZ, I enjoyed it! It’s got it’s issues, quite a few, but considering all of the complications before cameras even started rolling, it’s quite remarkable that it came out as coherent as it did!

It’s not the “ending”(c’mon, we all know a few years down the road, they’ll bring the new crew back) we’d hoped for, but it’s acceptable. Even before Force Awakens was released, I primed myself to temper expectations because I knew they’d never live up to the originals, so that mindset of “just give it a chance for fun” probably helped. Plus, as I get older it becomes more and more silly to get bent out of shape over a movie. I go in expecting fun, I’m not looking to be overly negative and whine, I just want to be entertained and this film at least delivered on that.
    If the final three films had been akin to Rogue One in quality, I'd have been happy. But IMHO they were generally just weak, and at times a "politically correct" compromise

I doubt I'll ever watch them again TBH...
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    If the final three films had been akin to Rogue One in quality, I'd have been happy. But IMHO they were generally just weak, and at times a "politically correct" compromise

I doubt I'll ever watch them again TBH...
    That’s fair. I enjoyed Rogue One, it was a good movie, but it just wasn’t FUN like a Star Wars flick. Of course the nature of the story calls for it to be a bit more serious, but it’s just lacking that sense of adventure that I personally associate with the franchise.

The Sequel Trilogy and Solo no doubt have their problems, but I’ve given them more repeat viewings simply because of that sense of fun. Rogue One(again, I liked it!) was just so dour and gloomy, that it barely fit the title of “a Star Wars movie”, IMO.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That’s fair. I enjoyed Rogue One, it was a good movie, but it just wasn’t FUN like a Star Wars flick. Of course the nature of the story calls for it to be a bit more serious, but it’s just lacking that sense of adventure that I personally associate with the franchise.

The Sequel Trilogy and Solo no doubt have their problems, but I’ve given them more repeat viewings simply because of that sense of fun. Rogue One(again, I liked it!) was just so dour and gloomy, that it barely fit the title of “a Star Wars movie”, IMO.
    I suppose Rogue One is more of a war movie in a more gritty, current day sense - whereas Star Wars, in general, is birthed more of a combination of serials, WWII comic books, and Samurai films.

One of the writers of Rise of Skywalker was interviewed recently and they said that they've never written on a project that had this many drafts and changes. No wonder the final film has its variety of issues. Again, I still enjoyed it, although of that sequel trilogy RoS is the one I like least. TFA and TLJ on the other hand I pretty much like evenly between the two with each doing certain things I liked more than the other and vice versa.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^ yeah, ROS is definitely a patch job. So much so that the infamous “Palpatine has returned, I don’t know how, but he returned”(featured in trailers) scene is so obviously a reshoot because of the horrible wig on Oscar Isaac. Then of course they also had to craft scenes around Carrie Fisher’s existing footage, Lando is just forced in as the only remaining OT crew, etc.

Quite a few bug issues, yet somehow it still came together. It’s a wonder they were able to make a passable film at all.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    After all these years.. Star Wars didn't go out with a bang, but with a whimper.

United States
    I enjoyed the force awakens. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't horrid. I've been a fan of the old expanded Star Wars universe and was really looking forward to a Yuhzhon Vong sorta war going on. When Disney bought the series and shelved the EU, I knew things would be bad. The new trilogy is almost a bad copy of a copy of the original series. Complete with evil fascist human empire, storm troopers, super weapons, and desert planets.

It's just been lazy safe writing. I've read much more inspiring zombie fan fiction on here compared to the Fan fiction that the Last Jedi was.

Luckily the Mandalorian and Rogue one show that good original stories can still be told in the Star Wars universe.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I don't buy it.
    There is such a vast amount of CGI in these films that it'd be impossible for there to be such extensive amount of work be done on an "alternate cut" without prior go-ahead from powers-that-be. This sort of stuff may have worked back in the days when all that required for a different cut was just more time in the editing suite, but that's a long gone phenomena.

Any supposed "alternate cut" would be so filled with poor workprint CGI that it'd be impossible for it to receive such a marked increase in audience score at a supposed screening.