60GB Version: Open Price

North America, Europe and Australia: November 17th

In North America :
    20GB: $499
    60GB: $599

In Europe :
    20GB: 499 Euros
    60GB: 699 Euros

NO WAY I'm paying 600 bucks for a console.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Pfffffffft. I bet it'll be just as cruddy as PS2. I can't count how many people I knew (including myself) that had problems with that system.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    that cant be right my pc is saying the 60gb is only 322 quid.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Wow if it's that expeinsive it's got to be good.

United States
    Makes the 360 quite a bargain now.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn
    Japan: November 11th
    20GB Version: 59800 Yen
    60GB Version: Open Price

North America, Europe and Australia: November 17th

In North America :
    20GB: $499
    60GB: $599

In Europe :
    20GB: 499 Euros
    60GB: 699 Euros

NO WAY I'm paying 600 bucks for a console.

EFFF DAT.

There's more info over on Cnet
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4331-12331_7...ml?tag=ltstimg

but the short is the $500 system is bare bones and will not offer as much compatability as the $600. lacking both the Flash memory reader (no PSP compatability) and an HDMI port (say what!). it's the ghetto version of the system.

Sony just dropped the ball big time. i think it's apparent at this point they're scrambeling to get this system out no matter what. and in so doing, they're cutting corners, i think after E3 they'll couter all of this by offering "add on" components that will integrate these missing features. but what the **** a two tiered system?

i''l bet hard cash right now there are going to be massive shortages of the high end system. and come the day after christmas, their are going to be an assload of returns on the basic system, by people who bought the wrong one. given this and the third reichness of sony's in house customer service personel, their is a high chance of a ****load of people getting disenfranchised with sony, damn quick.

and not to get all, fan boy. but if the WIi steps up. it's dimly possible PS3 could be rendered into the third ranked system by Q4 2006.

I can't believe Sony dropped the ball this badly.

United States
    The barebones system they seem to be trying to mimic the 360 Core system. But when one looks at the 360 Core system, all it's really missing is the 20GB HDD. The Core system still has all the other bells and whistles under the hood as the Premium. Anyone else notice that the PS3 controller will not have force-feedback.
    --- Batman

Fiji
    agreed. the one big selling point for me on the PS3 was it could integrate with the PSP. but the low end model won't be able to do that as it lacks the flash memory port.

sorry but there's not way i'm dropping $600+ on a new system in it's first year. not when GTA has migrated over to xbox.

United States
    Anyone talking that the PS3 is going to not sell well is dreaming. Though I can see the PS3 taking longer to sell the millions Crazy Ken says it will. Outside of the diehard PS fanatics and diehard gamers (one which I am a part of), the PS3 just doesn't look that affordable to the general consumer. If Microsoft cuts the price on the 360 Premium system to coincide with the PS3 launch, this holiday season if a parent wants to get their kid a new console, they will either go with an older, cheaper gen system, or looking at the nextgen ones go with the real cheap Wii or the mid-range 360.
    --- Batman

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    well heres why i think the ps3 will suck.

1:stole microsofts xbox live idea word for word.

2:now stolen nintendos back catalogue ideas.

3:the controller is plain stupid.

4:the font for the logo is the same as the spiderman 2 posters.

5:now gta and final fantasy are going over to xbox theres really no ps only games worth getting it for.

6:blu-ray?, smells like laserdiscs and betamax syndrome to me.

7:theyve been using killzone 2 as a selling point for it.

now dont get me wrong i loved my ps2 when i had one but compared to the huge amount of back catalgoue games nintendos having and combine that with how many non gamers bought the ds and want a .....wii.....then the 360 and the wii with games like halo 3 ,dead rising, twilight princess and live and back catalouges i really think the ps3 will be the last console for sony, much like the dreamcast for sega, times are changing and people want more than another football or racing game they want breath taking scenery cinemtaics ,orchestral sounds , awesome storylines and guitar hero, but thats beside the point.

Fiji
    yep.

what i'm seeing asa concern about the ps3 is A) the console is bieng rushed. B) the controllers they ripped off from Nintendo and C) the decent system is going to run $600 with a generation 1 bluray dvd unit. given Sony' warranty issues with their DVD drives in the PS2 there is alot of hesitation i've seen to run out and buy a unit that may crap out on you.

also given the GTA, FF and Sports migrations over to Xbox, the only series i play that's PS exclusive is Ace Combat. and frankly i can live without it.

i suspect Xbox may try to either drop is prices this Xmas, or start selling Combos again, but at a discounted rate.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    tell me about it i havent got my 360 yet for reasons i stated in another thread, but in my local game there selling the premium package with 4 games ,a face plate and an extra controller for ,get this, £400, now thats insanely cheap compared to the ps3 and considering the launch issue with faulty ps2's and the rumors of $70 ps3 games i really think this is it for sony.

United States
    The big bet has them lowering the price on the system by as much as a hundred dollars. This low price will be off-set by the HD-DVD peripheral which cuold be priced from 150-200. But that's the deal, it's an optional peripheral that no one but the hardest of the hardcore will decide to get.

So, if faced by a $600 PS3 and a $300 360 Premium...I think most parents would go for the latter.
    --- Batman

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    allthough with that £400 deal you DO have to get a tomb raider game, unfortunatly

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing
    tell me about it i havent got my 360 yet for reasons i stated in another thread, but in my local game there selling the premium package with 4 games ,a face plate and an extra controller for ,get this, £400, now thats insanely cheap compared to the ps3 and considering the launch issue with faulty ps2's and the rumors of $70 ps3 games i really think this is it for sony.

that's pretty much what we have here as well. coresystem + hard drive + a game or two + wireless controllers. = $600-700.

i'll probably end up buying the system at some point ths year, towards October or novermber, once there are more games out. and if my old xbox can hold up untill then.

one thing about sony. i have to say i'm disappointed with the lack of anything noteworthy about the PSp to come out from e3 thusfar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tullaryx
    The big bet has them lowering the price on the system by as much as a hundred dollars. This low price will be off-set by the HD-DVD peripheral which cuold be priced from 150-200. But that's the deal, it's an optional peripheral that no one but the hardest of the hardcore will decide to get.

So, if faced by a $600 PS3 and a $300 360 Premium...I think most parents would go for the latter.

i can see them doing this as well.

an $500-600 combo with the core system, hard drive and HD DVd Unit would sell pretty damn well.

http://www.gamestop.com/search.asp?k...rchbutton.y=18

here's a link to the current combos offered on Gamestop.com.
    Last edited by p2501; 10-May-2006 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost