Thread: Final Fantasy XIII ?

Undisclosed

Final Fantasy XIII ?

Okay brief glimpse into my perspective on this game.

I had not played a game from this series since Final Fantasy X. Which I LOVED! I cant even recall how many hours I ended up playing that thing I had to be somewhere in the 90% complete...Got everyones weapon...Got the Weapon Parts for Everyone....Was close to catching all the monsters....and I couldnt get enough of BLITZBALL (wouldve bought a spinoff RPG around Blitzball)....

So I was more than excited about Final Fantasy XIII for my 360.....

...Am I the only one that thought WHAT THE HELL IS THIS CRAP...

The only credit Im willing to give it is in terms of Graphics and Sound.

When I determined how linear the storyline was I was extremely disappointed ...Took me 12 hours into disk 3 before I figured out it was never going to get any better....

And I totally do not understand the critics and fans who say such things about the battle system like it was "thrilling" or "involving"....
    There are only a few ways I can rationalize someone feeling this way about the battle system.

1)They are just to in love with the Franchise to acknowledge a flop.
    2)To Young to figure out the simple combat dynamics.
    3)To wowed by the pretty pictures to notice the shallow game-play.

I mean really this is the extent of the combat. Regardless who your threesome is, Fill out your 5 combat formations with the most varied "useful" combinations... Then when in combat just switch formations based upon opponent situations....and push A to attack......And if you really get bored you can push Y to attack with less attack bar....but for the most part just switching to the obvious combat formation and pushing A is all thats needed to win encounters (with 5/5 stars)

Equally Insulting: Character development is a complete joke....unless your consciously try to make the game difficult for yourself point spending is completely Linear as well.....

I thought the whole point of the Role Playing Game genre was to promote player decisions....so your style of game play effects the direction of the characters, and elements of the plot....

The only decisions I made during this game was constantly the same thing "Ok....how much longer am I going to be pushing A before this is over"

Soooooo disappointed am I the only one who felt this way?

*Sigh* Maybe I should try to beat Mass Effect 2 on Insane ....again

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Final Fantasy... Isn't that the book series with pretty computer graphics?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i put 80 hours into this game for a 2 minute ending where the manly bitch finally smiles and you find out sarah is 14 and snow is 30. yeah. thats it. no big change or character development.

i promptly took it back and got pokemon soul silver, at least that has some semblance of fucking plot. The was a lot i loved, the soundtrack was great, not like nobou uematsu good, but not bad. but on the whole its the same shit from 12, like 20 enemy models that get resized and reskinned, playing for hours down straight path with no idea what your doing or why.

Honestly stop wasting your time on the game, it just isnt worth it.

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    i believe you're thinking of metal gear.

on topic, i've not played a final fantasy game since ff7, mainly due to what the good commie ned has posted above. i'd rather just read a book. a game with girly-men and silly characters, ten minutes worth of reading text followed by battle scenes with special moves that last 45 seconds isn't my idea of entertainment.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post

on topic, i've not played a final fantasy game since ff7, mainly due to what the good commie ned has posted above. i'd rather just read a book. a game with girly-men and silly characters, ten minutes worth of reading text followed by battle scenes with special moves that last 45 seconds isn't my idea of entertainment.
    i'd give ten a chance, its very underrated. The story isn't like any of the others and has a pretty damn unexpected twist in its story.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    No, the Metal Gear series are movies packaged as games. The Final Fantasy series are books packaged as games. They are definetly related, tho.

United States
    I am disappointed that the Final Fantasy series has evolved into nothing more than an 80 hour interactive CGI cut scene. I can understand using a CGI cut scene to advance the story at a pivotal point (such as Kefka destroying the world in FF6) , but to make the entire game a series of cut scenes with a few minutes of actual game play in between is just insane and the reason I no longer buy the Final Fantasy games, I just rent them now.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190