Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bin Laden dead

Undisclosed

Thumbs up Bin Laden dead

It's on the news right now. Good job, Coalition forces!

United States

Undisclosed
    I just came back from my night run at the track and this was the great news I received as I walked into my house.

Dead

Undisclosed
    I just got back from the White House a few minutes ago. Despite the fact that I haven't slept since I woke up Thursday morning, completed two term papers, and just pulled a double at my job, I had just enough in me to go celebrate in proper form.

United States
    small-arms firefight, said to have died from a headshot. us special forces, most likely navy SEALS.

bravo, gentlemen.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 02-May-2011 at 06:23 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    small-arms firefight, said to have died from a headshot. us special forces, most likely navy SEALS.

bravo, gentlemen.
    Damn! Shame not a slow, messy painful death by gut wound!

But at least he's dead and not captured alive! Wonder if the head wound was received after he was captured?

Now, poll question:-
    1) Is he now in heaven with his slave-army of virgins as per Islamic beliefs?
    2) Rotting in hell as per Western religious beliefs?
    3) His lights went out, and nothing... oe: All his religious antics and hatred were over nothing...

ps: Buried at sea - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110502/...n_laden_burial
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England

So Bin Laden is dead then?

Or so news the world over is reporting! It smells fishy to me though, they killed him then quickly & conveniently buried him at sea I can see reasons why they might do that, to avoid making him a martyr/spectacle etc, but for such a high value target it seems a bit of an anti-climax so to speak...
    If he is dead, looking back over 10 years at how many soldiers from all ISAF forces have been killed or maimed in Afghanistan, and how much treasure has been spent fighting that war and looking for Bin Laden, was it all really worth it? Right now I dont think it was, but back in 2002/2003 when the post 9/11 shock and anger was running high, I was all for it. If its right and he has been killed, then good riddance, but has the end justified the means?

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Wow. BZ to the SEALs for pulling this mission off, to the intelligence community for putting the intel together, and to Obama for having the guts to order the mission.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie04 View Post
    I just got back from the White House a few minutes ago. Despite the fact that I haven't slept since I woke up Thursday morning, completed two term papers, and just pulled a double at my job, I had just enough in me to go celebrate in proper form.
    Nearly went down there myself! Definitely would have if we didn't have a five-year-old.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Doh! Now all his true believer followers can claim the reports of his death are nothing but Western propaganda. :P
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Keep
    calm

and
    carry
    on

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    While i'm very glad the world is now negative one major douchebag, in the grand scheme of things this really means nothing. Again, I am glad that US citizens get some form of closure and the guy definitely deserved it, but it doesn't mean the war will soon be over as some people seem to think. It's going to go on for many, many more years to come and many, many of our soldiers are going to die unfortunately. They've lost their so called "leader" and that is fantastic news.....but more bloodshed, death, and destruction is still coming our way. Not only in the areas where we are engaging the enemy, but also on our home turf. I hope I'm wrong, I really do.....but I feel like some people are starting the party too soon and forgetting the bigger picture here.

Either way - It is a big day in history. I hope in some way that Bin Laden's death can give the families of loved ones lost on 9/11 some form of closure and relief.
    Last edited by bassman; 02-May-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: .

Undisclosed

Bin Laden is Dead

I'm shocked and amazed that I'm posting this first, especially since I heard this at around 11PM EST(America ) last night.

Of course there'll be folks going 'Yah, Right. ' but after nearly ten years ( how bout that for timing? ) I'll bet there was a whole CSI crew triple checking the corpse before the news was released.

In the meantime, I think this is mostly symbolic( still a good for us, the nice people of the US and the world at large. )because it won't stop Terrorism. It might, however, make them consider just how tenacious we are about finishing a job, that we won't just let some things slide.

Wayne Z

A correction; Didn't check Media before posting this.
    Last edited by wayzim; 02-May-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: double post?

Undisclosed
    I posted this on General Discussion without checking to see if it was up elsewhere, my bad.

But just to sum up, this is largely symbolic but still a Good ( for the whiny biachs out there, )for the mostly good folks of the world. Will Terrorism continue? you betcha. But given that he was a Prime Instigator, again this isn't a bad thing.
    As for the burial at sea, my dormant geek streak had a revival with the thought 'Who do we think this guy is? Megatron? '

This on the heels of that abortive assassination attempt in Libya?
    Nice that we can finally do something right.

Wayne Z

Administrator

England

F*ck yeah!!

So is that it? is the world safe now?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    It might, however, make them consider just how tenacious we are about finishing a job, that we won't just let some things slide.
    or it might be an excuse for the guy whos taken his place to rile them up into doing something big for their new martyr.

Ireland
    Probably been dead for years.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....